UPDATE (Jan. 12): We have repaired the water system and tested the water to make sure it meets safety standards. Klahowya's water is now safe to drink!
On Jan. 3, school was closed when we discovered that a part of the school's boiler system failed over winter break. This allowed boiler water to backflow into the school’s water system. We identified the failed part and water system contamination before school was to resume today, and the school was closed to make the necessary repairs.
The boiler water contains several contaminants which should not be consumed, including bacteria, nitrite, and propylene glycol. These contaminants are not high risk, but could make some people ill with stomach aches, vomiting, or diarrhea if enough water was consumed.
The Kitsap Public Health District believes the risk of serious health effects is low because the contaminated water was discolored and had a foul odor and taste, so it is unlikely that anyone consumed much, if any, of the water.
The school notified those who were present in the building over winter break. While the risk is low, anyone who consumed water at the school between Thursday, Dec. 29, 2016, and Monday, Jan. 2, 2017, and has gastrointestinal symptoms such as a stomach ache, vomiting, or diarrhea, should contact their primary care provider. Please also contact the school district office at 360-662-1620 to report your symptoms.
We worked with the Health District to correct the problem and ensure that the school’s water meets all applicable safety standards. We flushed the water system and are conducted tests with a certified lab to ensure the water met all standards.
We apologize for the inconvenience, and we thank you for your patience and cooperation.